ABOUT THE HARTFORD
With more than 200 years of expertise, The Hartford is a leader in property and casualty insurance, group benefits and mutual funds. The Hartford sells its products primarily through a network of independent agents and brokers, and for more than 30 years has been the only nationally endorsed direct auto and home insurance program for AARP’s nearly 38 million members. The Hartford helps its customers prepare for the unexpected, protect what’s most important to them and prevail when the unforeseen happens. For more information about The Hartford, visit our About Us page.
• The Hartford serves more than one million small businesses.
• The Hartford is a founding partner of U.S. Paralympics.
• Babe Ruth purchased a policy from The Hartford in 1920 for protection against disability.
• The Hartford’s trademark logo echoes the majestic stag depicted in Sir Edwin Landseer’s 1851 painting Monarch of the Glen. A hart fording a stream is a natural symbol for a company named The Hartford.
• The Hartford provided insurance for the only home Abraham Lincoln ever owned.
• Founded: 1810
• Employees: Approximately 18,500
• Headquarters: Hartford, Conn.
• Website: thehartford.com
FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS (as of 12/31/2018)
• 2018 revenues: $19.0B
• Shareholder equity: $13.1B
• No. 1 in fully insured disability inforce
• No. 1 in fully insured disability sales
• No. 2 workers’ compensation insurer, based on direct written premiums
• No. 2 group life and disability insurer
• No. 6 commercial multi-peril carrier, based on direct written premiums
THE HARTFORD’S BUSINESSES
• Workers’ compensation
• General liability
• Professional liability
• Group disability, life, and AD&D
• Absence management
• Voluntary benefits, including critical illness and accident
• Group retiree health
• Equity, fixed income and asset allocation mutual funds sub-advised by Wellington Management and Schroders
• A broad range of exchange-traded funds: both strategic beta and active ETFs
Making Human Achievement Possible
Yes, we’re an insurance company – but we’re also human beings. And we believe that people are capable of achieving amazing things with the right encouragement and support.
Human Achievement Is at the Heart of What We Do
We put our belief into action by not only ensuring individuals and businesses are well protected, but by going even further – making an impact in ways that go beyond an insurance policy.
Our Human Achievement Programs
These programs drive education, support, and volunteerism that put human beings first because when our customers, communities, and employees succeed, we all do.
The Hartford Sustainability
Making an impact for good is a guiding principle for our company and is key to how we operate every day.
Growing the business. Cultivating a culture of doing the right thing. Our leadership team has a clear vision for our future.